header image

Week 3- Shabbos

Posted by: Yocheved | July 27, 2011 | 1 Comment |

After shul on Shabbos, (and after the kiddush– they have a kiddush every week), Eleanor and I, along with three Israeli girls who are touring Ireland, were invited to Charlotte and Adrian Kaplan’s.  They have a daughter Deena, who is twenty-one and is training to be a midwife, and a daughter Michelle, who is interested in studying law but doesn’t want to do it in Ireland because she plans to leave.  They also have a son, Lee, who just decided to make aliyah– I haven’t met him.  And they have a dog, Teddy.  Oh, and there was also a man who was an artist who was there.

I asked Charlotte how her family ended up in Dublin.  Apparently her grandfather was a Holocaust survivor, and he decided to go to New York.  On his way, he ended up in Cork, Ireland.  Cork, New York– either he got mixed up, or he just decided he liked it there.  Anyway, he stayed.  Charlotte and Adrian both grew up in Dublin, and they met through Bnei Akiva.

Anyway, the food was absolutely delicious.  They had lots of salads: Waldorf salad (Gala apples, celery, and walnuts), regular lettuce-tomato-cucumber salad, cole slaw, and potato salad (made with peeled brown potatoes, not red) with scallions and not too much mayo.  There was also really good chicken, and pickled roast beef.  And for dessert: pie, vanilla ice cream (tofutti), fruit salad, and homemade chocolate mousse.  And Charlotte, instead of just asking me what I wanted, said, “What would you like, Yocheved, some of everything?”  Which made it easy to say, “Yes!”

And it was all topped off with the best coffee I have ever tasted, and that’s without adding milk.

Don’t judge me: I have been surviving on cereal, tuna, and yoghurt.  I’m allowed to obsess a little.

After lunch (which ended at around 4 p.m.– bliss!), Eleanor and I stopped off at the student center before walking to a park, because the weather was really lovely.  The park was very pretty, with a waterfall, and flowers.  Then we headed back to the student center, where I read (still on the dragon series) and slept until it was time to go to Mincha and have shalosh seudos at the shul, followed by Maariv.  Then we got a ride back to the student center.  I wanted to get back to Kinlay House that night, because Cynthia and I were planning to go on a day trip on Sunday that left at 7:00 a.m. from the city centre.  Fortunately, Tim and a bunch of his friends were also heading into the city centre for some drinks, so I shared a large taxi with them.

under: Week 3

Responses -

Glad you’re having such a great time in Ireland! I like how you’ve started spelling “yoghurt,” it looks much more exotic that way.

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories