header image

Landing in Dublin~ First Day

Posted by: Yocheved | July 5, 2011 | No Comment |

I actually landed yesterday, and I was exhausted (not to mention homesick), so I didn’t blog until today, when I’m in a much better frame of mind.  First of all, I did see fireworks below me from the plane on July 3rd at night, which was pretty exciting, but not nearly as spectacular as seeing them from the ground.  I had a pretty good flight, mostly due to Chana Fixler’s hysterically funny plane letter– other than reading that I mostly slept (good recipe for sleeping on a plane: stay up until 4:30 packing the night before!)

I got off the plane, and carted my luggage around the airport looking for the Sim Card Shop.  When I found it, the man there was really nice, but he informed me that my phone was locked, so I couldn’t get a sim card.  First hurdle of the day.

I actually took it in stride, though.  I tried to find out about it online, but it cost 3 euro to use the Internet in the airport for 1/2 an hour, and I’m cheap, so I decided to take a bus to the hostel and contact home from there.  I went to the bus stop and some men to whom I will forever be grateful transferred my luggage (2 suitcases that totally feel more than 50 pounds apiece, plus an overstuffed backpack and handbag and really uncomfortable money belt– nerdy, I know) to the bus (which had luggage racks, thank G-d).  I told the bus driver which stop I wanted and he let me off there, but this time I had no help with my stuff– but the driver did wait for me to get it all in two trips.

Then I set out to find the hostel from the bus stop.  It seems that Dubliners are much like NYers in that when you ask them for directions they won’t just say, “I don’t know” but will tell you something, even if it’s completely wrong.  Hence the woman who sent me definitively and with complete certainty in the exact opposite direction of the hostel.  I dragged my two suitcases (two suitcases! My sisters will get it), with Hoop balanced on one and my handbag and jackets and sweatshirt draped over the other all over the Temple Bar area.  The sweatshirt fell off a few times and got run over with the wheels, so that I actually had to throw it out when I got to the hostel because it became completely ragged– I’ll probably get a new one here when I see one.  But the Dubliners were all very nice and one man whom I asked directions not only told me the right way, but helped me with one suitcase for part of it.

I finally arrived and hung out in the common room for a bit on the computer.  My room wasn’t ready, so I locked my stuff up.  I saw Dasi Fruchter in my chat list and got her to call my mom for me (thank you Dasi!  You’re awesome!) and Mommy went online and we chatted.  Then I went out to walk a bit and found myself in the courtyard of Dublin castle.  Insert picture here: (I have pics, but I’m not going to try to put them up now because it’s too complicated– my laptop doesn’t pick up the internet here so well so I’m on a public computer, but they are forthcoming).  I sat there for a bit and read on my kindle, then I went and bought an apple in a shop (all my food was locked up with my luggage), and then went to class.

Acting class with Patrick was really great.  We did some physical acting work- walking around the room, ha-chacka-ha (you’re not supposed to get that, but it will remind me of what we did, and this blog is also for me right?), and then we did a piece from Beckett that sounds like a take-off from Koheles:

“The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new.”

Then we spent the rest of the class working on a monologue from Waiting for Godot, pronounced here with the emphasis on the first syllable.  We have to wear all black for our acting classes.

After that we headed back to the hostel.  I went on a walk with a couple of girls and bought some more apples.  Then we headed back for the hostel, and I was super homesick, so I fell asleep on my bed.  I had a room to myself because there was a mix-up about the rooms (there are 9 of us and the coordinator thought there were 8, but Elodie decided to do a home-stay with Patrick, so I got her bed), so the first night I was alone in a room and had to use the communal bathroom.  I found out though that there is a skype phone in the hostel I can use, so I was able to call Mommy and cry to her about how homesick I was before going to sleep.

under: Week 1

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories